While I was thinking about what to post for this morning, I realized that I have never posted a recipe for one of my favorite foods. That is cornbread; I love it with butter and honey or with beans or practically anything else. My wife makes great cornbread. It is always good.
Cornbread is easy to make and can be cooked in a Dutch oven or cast iron frying pan over an open fire. It doesn’t take many ingredients.
- One cup corn meal
- One cup all-purpose flour
- Sugar ¼ cup or 1/8 cup honey
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 1-tablespoon baking powder
- One cup buttermilk, regular or powdered milk can be used.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons lard or bacon grease.
- 1 egg
- Optional, chop up a couple of fresh jalapenos depending on your taste buds.
- Optional, chopped pimentos, onions or paprika
Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Mix your milk, oil and egg in a separate bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir. Now you can add your optional ingredients. If you choose jalapenos, the jalapenos should be coated in flour so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Cook in your preheated oven at 400 degrees 20 -25 minutes. It can also be in a solar oven, a thermal oven or over an open fire. to check and be sure it is cooked, stick a fork in the middle and it should come out clean.
Personally, I like all the optional ingredients. But if you are short of supplies, you can leave out just about everything but the cornbread, salt, baking powder, lard or grease and milk.
Try it with all the optional ingredients and you will like it. Just be careful you don’t make it too hot.