The Most Important Class You’ll Ever Take
Preparedness Advice Blog
Recommended by Noah
Give us a Facebook like!Facebook By Weblizar Powered By Weblizar
Tag Archives: light
Light is the least understood enemy of food storage. Exposure to light can cause foods to spoil faster. Both natural and artificial light can cause photodegradation, according to the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at Clemson University. Exposure to sunlight, fluorescent light or incandescent light can cause photodegradation.
The light sensitivity of a food depends on many factors including the:
- light source strength and type of light that it emits;
- distance of the light source from the food;
- length of exposure;
- optical properties of the packaging materials;
- Whether the food is solid or liquid.
Light normally penetrates only the outer layer in a solid food, typically causing discoloration on its surface. …Read More...
The first rule of food storage can be summed up in the acronym HALT. It stands for the four enemies of good food storage. These are Humidity, Air (oxygen), Light, and Temperature. This is the basis of all food storage
To get the maximum storage life of your food you need to protect it from these four enemies. This will also preserve the maximum amount of nutrition.
- Store your food at constant temperature of between 40 – 70 degrees.
- Protect your foods from exposure to moisture and high humidity.
- Protect your foods from exposure to oxygen.