I have been given a lot of thought recently to the subject of opsec (operational secrecy) and have come up with a few guidelines to help you preserve yours.
- Keep your mouth shut, during my career in law enforcement; I made many cases because people talked to friends and relations that they trusted. I have seen brothers roll on brothers, wives on husbands. The fewer people that know your secrets the better.
- Live in a cash world when it comes to prepping. Credit cards and checks can be traced.
- Don’t order from the internet, this can be traced. The company you ordered from always keeps a mailing list and records
- Don’t get preps through the mail. The post office has been known to record the shipping and return addresses.
- Keep your preps out of sight. A friend of mine who is a handyman often sees signs of preps and storage when working on houses.
- Stay off internet prepping sites, including mine. You leave a record everywhere you go.
- If it is legal in your state, avoid registering weapons.
- Be careful where you get rid of your trash. Packaging from preps needs to be thrown away without attracting attention..
- Buy in small quantities, through big box stores, pay cash and avoid attention.
- Watch what you say on the telephone. Remember the NSA is watching you.
- Avoid attracting attention, don’t get involved in politics, or wear tactical clothing.
- If you have already started to prep and have made some of these mistakes, spread the word that you were a fool and have changed your mind and have gotten rid of the junk
Now, this may seem like you are going to an extreme, but this is what you need to do if you wish to hide your preps and maintain operational secrecy from the government and be a grey man. Hiding them from your neighbors is easier. The big rule here is to keep your mouth shut and your preps out of sight.
Before someone says well what about you, I have given up on traditional operational secrecy, because I have made the decision to help others.