My daughter Jen has been making her own laundry soap for the last couple of years. She likes it better than what she gets at the store and it is cheaper. The soap is simple to make and requires the following ingredients.
- One (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax – Found in the detergent aisle of your grocery
- One (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle of your grocery
- One (3 lb) Container of OxyClean – Found in the detergent aisle of your grocery. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)
- Two (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap – or Fels Naptha, Found in the detergent aisle of your grocery
- Two (2 lb) Boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle of your grocery
- One – two (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle of your grocery. This is optional
Simple grate up the bar of soap and mix all the ingredients together. The easiest way to grate it is to use a hand grater, use the fine side.
The simplest way to mix it is in a large bucket. Pour the ingredients into the bucket, in alternating layers and mix. You will only need 1-2 Tablespoons per load depending on the size. Jen says that it will do an amazing number of loads of laundry.