A few days ago in an article on oils we said we would post this recipe. Clarified Butter is easy to make. I worked at a heath food store for awhile and we made and used clarified butter to cook with. You have to watch it closely so it doesn’t burn. Here is the recipe;
- Use unsalted butter
- ½ to 1 pound butter (you can use larger amounts according to your needs)
- You heat the desired amount of butter in a pan or skillet (I use a skillet)
- When melted and completely separated, (it should be clear and be able to see to bottom)
- Skim off the white foam on top
- Let it rest for 10 minutes so the milky solids can settle to bottom
- Pour the clear liquid in a glass jar with lid
- The residue at the bottom, I just throw away
DO NOT OVER HEAT IT WILL BURN!!!
In India homemade ghee or clarified butter it is sometimes stored in the open (not in cans or refrigerated) for several months to a year.