FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY
- Is your heating system in proper working order and inspected for dangerous leaks yearly?
- Is there ample air circulation around appliances that are likely to overheat?
- Are there any overloaded circuits, long extension cords runs, or too many devices plugged unto one outlet?
- Is your fireplace or wood stove chimney free of dangerous build ups that could catch on fire? Do you get your fireplace and wood stove chimney cleaned on a regular schedule?
- Do you have a protective grate in front of fireplace to prevent sparks, hot logs from rolling into room?
- Is your kitchen oven hood clear of greasy build-up that could cause a fire?
- Are smoke detectors installed in every bedroom and the halls leading to them? Do you change the batteries and test them regularly?
- Do you have carbon monoxide detectors?
- Do you have fire extinguishers in your kitchen, basement, garage, and auto? Are they regularly serviced?
- Do all family members sleep with bedroom door closed to prevent spread of fire, smoke?
- All family members should practice fire drills, know escape routes, and have a designated meeting spot.
- Do your children know how to use a phone to get help in an emergency?
- If you have grills or bars on window, can they be easy and quickly released in case of a fire?
- Do you keep brush, dry leaves and other combustibles cleaned up and away from your home, particularly if you live in an area with wildland fires?
- Is your wood pile stacked a reasonable distance from your home? It is easy for fire to spread from the wood pile to your home (wildfire, arsonists)?
WHEN ON VACATION
- Is your security system armed? Automatic timers for lights, radio turned on? Phones turned down?
- Arrange for a neighbor to watch house, cut, and water grass, give house that lived-in look?
- No change in normal pattern of opening, shutting drapes, dead give-away lighting patterns?
- Arrange to stop mail, and newspaper delivery
- Arrange to have local police make vacation checks, if available?