Fels Naptha Soap, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Sumac

Poison oak

The rash caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and sumac is an allergic reaction.  Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic response, but most if not all will become sensitized over time with repeated or more concentrated exposure.

A simple way to minimize your chances of get a reaction is to wash with Fels Naptha soap after exposure. It can be found in the laundry section of most grocery stores.  It’s inexpensive and can stop or minimize reactions from such plants as poison ivy, poison oaks and sumac.

Fels Naptha has been used for over 100 years for the treatment and prevention of poison ivy, sumac and poison oak rash.  I have used it for years.  If you think, you have been exposed to poison ivy, poison oak or sumac, shower or wash immediately with Fels Naptha to remove the oils from your skin.  This will reduce and in many cases prevent any skin reaction.

Poison ivy

Make sure to wash your clothes and equipment in some shaved or grated fels naptha  to remove the oils.  Some oils can stay on your clothes and equipment for over 1 year even if washed with normal detergent.

Washing with Fels Naptha can greatly reduce the itching and discomfort from bug bites.  I strongly suggest that you become familiar with any plants in your area of operations that pose a hazard.

Sumac

Howard

This entry was posted in medical, Self sufficiency, Seventy-two hour kits and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Fels Naptha Soap, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Sumac

  1. Matt in Oklahoma says:

    Never heard of this but sure am gonna try it!

  2. Sandy Taylor says:

    You have outstanding timing once again Howard. My daughter and I were both exposed to green mango sap over the weekend, which reacts like poison ivy. I was wondering how to treat our exposed clothes. Good thing we already use Fels Neptha in our homemade laundry detergent!

    ~ Sandy Taylor

  3. Stacy Reimer says:

    My family has used Fels Naptha soap for years to treat poison ivy. My grandparents owned a 400 acre farm growing up and my family has always used this product to get rid of poison ivy or any similar skin irritation. It is inexpensive and it works.

  4. Can fels naptha be use as a drawing cream to draw out insect bits.

  5. Anna Bender says:

    Is this something that could be used as a preventative?

  6. Grigory says:

    My mom used Fels Naptha on me for this purpose many times as a kid, but it never really worked. I did however recently discover that Goop hand cleaner totally works.

  7. Larry says:

    Jewel works great. Read up on it.

  8. Diane M Emm says:

    My husband had berm using Fels-Naptha for years and he swears by it.
    If you have trouble finding it, look for it in the bar soap aisle, and sometimes you may find it with the laundry detergents.

    • Noah says:

      We use Fels-Naptha. It’s great rubbed on stains as a pre-treatment and my wife has used it to make homemade laundry soap.

  9. Kevin Nuttall says:

    Soaps that contain lye work well to treat poison ivy & poison oak infections, or to prevent infection from first developing; washing with yellow soap within 3 hours after exposure is essential, however, as the oils will penetrate the skin after 3 hours. If a water source isn’t readily available to wash away the oils (within 3 hours), a dampened bar may be applied to the affected area (VERY sparingly). A little dab’ll do ya; but, too much damp soap will only serve to further irritate the skin. Once the skin has been washed, do NOT rub with a dry towel; pat the water off of the affected area with a towel (or paper towel), instead. Rubbing a towel on the affected area will only serve to spread the infection and agitate the skin. Then, do NOT perform activities or occupy areas where you might sweat, as sweat helps the infection to develop and/or fester longer. If you have not washed up within 3 hours, and an infection sets in, repeat washing and patting dry 3-to-4 times a day, until resolved, usually within 4-to-5 days. And, do NOT believe you can’t be infected by poison oak or ivy, unless your lineage includes a member of a Native American tribe that has been consuming these leaves for nearly a thousand years, which has made that tribe immune to infection – a tribe that only lives in the area of northern Oregon & Washington state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *