A few days ago, Adventure Medical sent me a SOL Pocket Survival Pak to review. Now, this kit is not designed to be a get home or bug out bag, this is a pocket survival kit. It is designed for one thing to help you stay alive until you can get help.
It is small compact and will fit in your pocket. With this and the normal items that I carry in my pockets, a good flashlight and knife, I would feel fairly confident if I had to spend a night in the woods.
- Duct Tape
- 1 – Duct Tape, 2″ x 26″ – always useful for repairing gear.
- 1 – Pencil Leave – messages
- 4 – Safety Pins #3, 2” – repair clothing or gear, secure equipment, make a sling.
- 1 – Heavy Duty Sewing Needle – sew clothing or treat blisters
- 1 – Heavy Duty Nylon Thread (50 ft.) – repair clothing or use for cordage or fish line
- Survival Instructions
- 1 – Waterproof Survival Instructions
- Survival Tools
- 1 – Aluminum Foil, Heavy Duty, 3 Sq. Ft. – use for cooking
- 1 – Compass, Button, Liquid Filled – self rescue
- 4 – Fish Hook, #10 – catching fish or ducks
- 1 – Fresnel Lens Magnifier (2″ x 3″) – fire starting or use as magnifying glass
- 1 – Nylon Cord, #18, Braided, (10 ft. 150 lb test) – shelter building
- 1 – Pocket Survival Pak Contents List
- 1 – Safety Wire, Stainless Steel, (6 ft of 0.020″) – make snares
- 1 – Scalpel Blade #22 – use as knife
- 1 – Signal Mirror, Rescue Flash™ – to attract the attention of rescuers
- 1 – Snap Swivel, Size 12 – fishing
- 1 – Spark-Lite™ Firestarter – fire starting
- 2 – Sinkers, Tin – fishing
- 4 – Tinder Quik™ – fire starting
- 2 – Waterproof Paper – leave messages
- 1 – Whistle, Rescue Howler – attract attention
In all this kit is compact and would be easy to carry in a pocket. I think I will include this kit in my everyday carry. For the price of less than $30, it is reasonably priced. You may be able to make your own a bit cheaper, but when you consider the time and effort it would take you to make one, you are probably better off to just buy it.
For about twice the price, there is now a deluxe version of the SOL Survival Pak. You can check out the contents here and see if it makes sense to buy the expanded kit or not.