Preparedness Advice Blog
- Organize Your Emergency Evacuation in 5 Simple Steps
- 13 Survival Must-Haves You May Not Have Thought Of
- 13 Food Storage New Year’s Resolutions
- Could You Survive TEOTWAWKI in Your State? Here are the 5 Best and Worst States for Survival
- What’s Bugging You? Dealing With Parasites in Humans
- Last Minute Holiday Gifts for the Prepper Dad
Tag Archives: alarm
Having spent many years either as both a fireman and an arson investigator, I have been inside many burning buildings. Since I worked at a state level, I put on training classes for locals and had the opportunity to start fires in many building that were scheduled to be destroyed. I have probably been involved in the burning of as many as 50 buildings in various training scenarios.
During this time, I have spent time in burning buildings both with and without breathing apparatus. What I want to write on today is how to exit a burning structure. The situation that is of most concern is waking up in the night to a fire.…Read More...
FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY
- Is your heating system in proper working order and inspected for dangerous leaks yearly?
- Is there ample air circulation around appliances that are likely to overheat?
- Are there any overloaded circuits, long extension cords runs, or too many devices plugged unto one outlet?
- Is your fireplace or wood stove chimney free of dangerous build ups that could catch on fire? Do you get your fireplace and wood stove chimney cleaned on a regular schedule?
- Do you have a protective grate in front of fireplace to prevent sparks, hot logs from rolling into room?
- Is your kitchen oven hood clear of greasy build-up that could cause a fire?