Preparedness Advice Blog
- 2 Safety tips for your kids: The sound of gunfire & concealment vs. cover
- Sprouting new garden plants from seeds: tips from an old pro
- How to build a practical, affordable prepper library
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Watch for these February bargains
- 9 Must-Haves for your Glove Box
- 4 Simple but Clever Ways to Keep Cooking Oil Fresh Longer
Tag Archives: backfiring
Today I am sitting in my home and you can smell the smoke from the King Fire in Northern California. The smoke is thick enough that the sun has a red halo around it and the amount of light it produces is reduced. Since I have written about the dangers of wild fires, today I am going to write about how controlled burns and backfiring may help you save your home in a real emergency.
Controlled burns are normally done well before a fire, when the weather and other conditions are optimum. The whole idea is to use small controllable fires to lessen the fuel load and prevent larger fires that are more dangerous. …Read More...