Preparedness Advice Blog
Tag Archives: clarified butter
A few days ago in an article on oils we said we would post this recipe. Clarified Butter is easy to make. I worked at a heath food store for awhile and we made and used clarified butter to cook with. You have to watch it closely so it doesn’t burn. Here is the recipe;
- Use unsalted butter
- ½ to 1 pound butter (you can use larger amounts according to your needs)
- You heat the desired amount of butter in a pan or skillet (I use a skillet)
- When melted and completely separated, (it should be clear and be able to see to bottom)
- Skim off the white foam on top
- Let it rest for 10 minutes so the milky solids can settle to bottom
- Pour the clear liquid in a glass jar with lid
- The residue at the bottom, I just throw away
DO NOT OVER HEAT IT WILL BURN!!!…Read More...
After doing a lot of research on the shelf life of cooking oils, I have reached the following conclusion based on the best evidence that I can find. Most cooking oils have a shelf life of from one to two years before turning rancid. There is lot of talk about longer shelf life for various oils such as coconut oil. But I have not been able to find anything but antidotal evidence to confirm this. It is my understanding that BYU is currently running test to determine the shelf life of various oils. When this is complete, I will get a copy and post it.…Read More...