Preparedness Advice Blog
- Organize Your Emergency Evacuation in 5 Simple Steps
- 13 Survival Must-Haves You May Not Have Thought Of
- 13 Food Storage New Year’s Resolutions
- Could You Survive TEOTWAWKI in Your State? Here are the 5 Best and Worst States for Survival
- What’s Bugging You? Dealing With Parasites in Humans
- Last Minute Holiday Gifts for the Prepper Dad
Tag Archives: edible
Delicious and good for you
The other day while out looking for edible plants, I came across some cones from the digger pines, also sometimes called gray pines. These cones were still intact and had not dropped their seeds, often called pine nuts.
I spent a bit of time and opened one. The digger pines have one of the harder cones and you will need a hammer or a big rock to open them. However, it is worth it you can get a good handful of nuts from one cone.
The individual seeds or nuts then need to be removed from their shell.…Read More...
This the second part of an article on MREs, the first part was posted yesterday. Civilian MREs (meals ready to eat) are a confusing issue. There are currently a number of manufacturers producing MREs for the civilian market. The three major manufacturers of MREs for the military (Ameriqual, Sopakco, and Wornick) have all started producing their own civilian MREs. Recently International Meals Supply, a certified supplier of emergency rations for the Department of Defense, has started selling a brand called “MREStar”.
Ameriqual sells under the name APack; there are 12 meals to a case, 6 different menus. They provide approximately 1400 calories per meal according to their website. …Read More...