Preparedness Advice Blog
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard
- Survival Shopping at Costco: A Quick and Easy Guide
- 6 Important Survival Lessons I Learned as a Scout
- The Food Storage Companies I Recommend and Why
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast!
- 5 Common Sense Steps to Grow What You Eat
Tag Archives: firesteel
Last weekend I was at an event in which there was a demonstration of various methods of fire starting. One young gentleman was extremely fast at starting a bow and drill, you could tell he had done a lot of practice. He was using jute twine to form the bird’s nest in which he placed his hot ember. The jute worked beautifully and flamed up well.
This got me to thinking about jute, I knew it burned, but had never used it to start fires. So since then I have been playing with it and will add some to my fire starting kit. …Read More...
I have been playing with all kinds of different fire starters from matches to fancy devices and most of them seem to work well. There are literally hundreds of different firesteels and other sparking devices on the market. The problem is how do you sort through this mess. I have had the chance to try quite a few different types and will share what I have found.
The best fire starters I have found is plain old matches or a good cigarette lighter. Normally I would use a Bic, you can’t beat them for price and reliability. With matches, I prefer the strike anywhere matches. …Read More...