Preparedness Advice Blog
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard
- Survival Shopping at Costco: A Quick and Easy Guide
- 6 Important Survival Lessons I Learned as a Scout
- The Food Storage Companies I Recommend and Why
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast!
- 5 Common Sense Steps to Grow What You Eat
Tag Archives: free food
Every year starting about now I gather free food. Just today, I was out gathering wild plums. On one of the trails that I regularly hike, there are several wild plum trees. There are both yellow and red plums and they are delicious. They are a bit smaller than the plums you are used to and not quite as sweet. The yellow ones are sweeter than the reds.
Right next to the plums trees are wild grapes, they will be ready to pick later in the year. There are also many blackberries in the same area. I have never seen anyone other than myself pick them and lots of people walk by them. …Read More...
Yesterday my wife went to visit an elderly friend who has a pear orchard. Because of her age, she is no longer able to maintain it. The trees were loaded with pears. She told my wife to pick all she wanted as they were just going to waste and were attracting bears. My wife said there was so much fresh bear scat that you had to watch where you walked. The bears have been coming in every night.
In a couple of hours, my wife picked several hundred pounds of pears. Part of these were for the owner of the orchard, the rest will be canned or dried by members of our family and friends. …Read More...