Preparedness Advice Blog
- Prepper To Prepper: The Hawaii Missile Alert, This Is Not A Drill
- 17 things you probably didn’t know about honey, but definitely should!
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Watch for these January bargains
- Take the 2017 End-of-Year Prepper Evaluation
- Prepper To Prepper: What Is In Your Everyday Carry?
Tag Archives: Ghee
Thanks to a comment sent in by Ellen we have a selection from by The Prairie Traveler Randolph Barnes Marcy, Captain, U.S.A. Notice their concern about scurvy, something we never think about today. The antiscorbutics they refer to were to prevent scurvy.
STORES AND PROVISIONS.
Supplies for a march should be put up in the most secure, compact and portable shape.
Bacon should be packed in strong sacks of a hundred pounds each; or, in very hot climates, put in boxes and surrounded with bran, which in a great measure prevents the fat from melting away.
If pork be used, in order to avoid transporting about forty per cent.…Read More...
A few days ago in an article on oils we said we would post this recipe. Clarified Butter is easy to make. I worked at a heath food store for awhile and we made and used clarified butter to cook with. You have to watch it closely so it doesn’t burn. Here is the recipe;
- Use unsalted butter
- ½ to 1 pound butter (you can use larger amounts according to your needs)
- You heat the desired amount of butter in a pan or skillet (I use a skillet)
- When melted and completely separated, (it should be clear and be able to see to bottom)
- Skim off the white foam on top
- Let it rest for 10 minutes so the milky solids can settle to bottom
- Pour the clear liquid in a glass jar with lid
- The residue at the bottom, I just throw away
DO NOT OVER HEAT IT WILL BURN!!!…Read More...
After doing a lot of research on the shelf life of cooking oils, I have reached the following conclusion based on the best evidence that I can find. Most cooking oils have a shelf life of from one to two years before turning rancid. There is lot of talk about longer shelf life for various oils such as coconut oil. But I have not been able to find anything but antidotal evidence to confirm this. It is my understanding that BYU is currently running test to determine the shelf life of various oils. When this is complete, I will get a copy and post it.…Read More...