Preparedness Advice Blog
- Smart Advice to Help You Survive the Government Shutdown — or any other surprise financial setback
- 3 Key Medical Concepts to Teach Every Child
- How to Choose the Best Straw Water Filter For You
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Give this a try and have an extra $1378 by the end of the year!
- Build Your Best-Ever Emergency Kit
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions
Tag Archives: grits
I am always looking for new ways to use foods that are easy to grow and prepare. I recently become interested in grits. Now grits are very popular in the South, two thirds of the ones sold in the U.S are sold in the south.
The Native Americans were using grits long before the white man arrived. Grits are small broken grains of corn. There are basically two types “corn” grits and “hominy” grits.
In the past, I have put up a post on making hominy, but never on corn grits. Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and rises to the top. …Read More...