Preparedness Advice Blog
- Join my new 5-day Challenge, DO IT NOW 2020
- Organize Your Emergency Evacuation in 5 Simple Steps
- 13 Survival Must-Haves You May Not Have Thought Of
- 13 Food Storage New Year’s Resolutions
- Could You Survive TEOTWAWKI in Your State? Here are the 5 Best and Worst States for Survival
- What’s Bugging You? Dealing With Parasites in Humans
Tag Archives: hominy
Recently I did a post on nixtamalizing corn to prevent pellagra, in that post I told you how to add lime water or lye to whole corn to make Masa. Today I will post directions on how to make hominy. This is another way of Nixtamalizing corn and to liberate the B-vitamin niacin, and make it usable.
Dent, flint, white, yellow or multicolored corn work well for making hominy. Popcorn does not make hominy, though it can be ground for corn meal.
To make hominy you need lye, you can either get it at the store or make it. If you buy some make sure you get pure lye (sodium hydroxide), not drain cleaner. …Read More...
This recipe is for making pozole also known as hominy. You need 2 lbs of white field corn (removed from cob) and two tablespoons slaked lime (also known as Cal). Clean the corn by placing in a colander and rising with cold water.
Add two quarts of water into a four-quart non-corrosive pan (stainless steel, or enameled pot). Put the pan on high heat and stir in the slaked lime until it dissolves.
Bring the slaked lime water to a boil and add the corn stirring gently. Using a slotted spoon remove any kernels that float to the top. When the water is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. …Read More...