Preparedness Advice Blog
- How to survive a boil notice
- 2 Safety tips for your kids: The sound of gunfire & concealment vs. cover
- Sprouting new garden plants from seeds: tips from an old pro
- How to build a practical, affordable prepper library
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Watch for these February bargains
- 9 Must-Haves for your Glove Box
Tag Archives: mosquitoes
I live near a stream and every year the mosquito abatement district sprays along the stream and as a result, I don’t get many mosquitoes in my yard. Now after TEOTWAWKI that will change, there will be no spraying which in some ways will be healthier for most of us. But mosquitoes carrying diseases like malaria, west Nile virus and dengue fever, and yellow fever will be a problem.
So I have been thinking about how to keep the mosquitoes from eating me alive. Your first defense is to not let them breed. It takes still water for them to lay eggs in. …Read More...
Prevent mosquito bites
To prevent mosquito bites, follow these guidelines:
- Stay inside when it is dark outside, preferably in a screened room.
- Wear protective clothing (long pants and long-sleeved shirts).
- Use insect repellent with DEET (N,N diethylmetatoluamide). The repellent is available in varying strengths up to 100%. In young children, use a preparation containing less than 24% strength, because too much of the chemical can be absorbed through the skin. I would like something that works well without the toxic effects, any ideas.
The state in which I reside has hot summers often exceeding 100 degrees for several days at a time. May people are heavily dependent on their air conditioners. I have to admit I enjoy mine. One thing I have noticed lately is that because people use their air conditioners they do not maintain their window screens. I have noticed that a lot of them are missing or damaged.
If the power fails and you have to leave your windows open, window screens become very important. Control of flies, mosquitoes and other flying insects can prevent many health hazards.
When I was a child, we lived in Southern Africa and there were no window screens. …Read More...
This is a contest submission by Rita
Insect and rodent control should not be overlooked when planning for emergencies. You should plan to have available a number of alternative methods to control the insects and rodents unique to your area and you should test each method to insure they work to your satisfaction. I am going to address mosquitoes, rats and mice in this article.
Barriers can be effective for controlling mosquitoes in your house. Make sure all windows have screens that are in good shape. If you find it necessary to sleep outdoors or if your house has suffered damage use mosquito nets for your beds. …Read More...