Preparedness Advice Blog
- Smart Advice to Help You Survive the Government Shutdown — or any other surprise financial setback
- 3 Key Medical Concepts to Teach Every Child
- How to Choose the Best Straw Water Filter For You
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Give this a try and have an extra $1378 by the end of the year!
- Build Your Best-Ever Emergency Kit
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions
Tag Archives: pioneer recipes
When we have to live off our food storage, we will have to adapt to a diet that is similar to what our pioneer ancestors ate. Since we will not have the prepared, convenience foods many people are used to, or the variety we are used too, it will benefit us to know how those old-timers cooked. Here are some examples of pioneer recipes.
- 3 Cups cornmeal mash
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 5 Beaten eggs
- ½ Cup melted butter
- 1 Cup molasses
- ½ Cup milk
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
Stir together and cook over an open fire.…Read More...
Lately, I have been studying the American pioneer recipes that were cooked on their westward trek. Many of the methods and recipes that they utilized could work very well for us in a TEOTWAWKI situation. The list of foods that they carried are a surprisingly close match to what many of us store today. Their list included such items as beans, corn, wheat, rice and dried fruits and vegetables. These are the foods that are the most inexpensive for us to store today and still provide the nutrition that we require.
In addition, they carried dried and salted meat.…Read More...