Preparedness Advice Blog
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard
- Survival Shopping at Costco: A Quick and Easy Guide
- 6 Important Survival Lessons I Learned as a Scout
- The Food Storage Companies I Recommend and Why
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast!
- 5 Common Sense Steps to Grow What You Eat
Tag Archives: pitch
Fire starting is an art. I know everyone who reads this blog carries some type of fire starter and that is a good start. However lately I have been challenging some people to actually start a fire with what they carry. The results have not been very good, we are not all Davey Crockett’s or Daniel Boone’s.
Under ideal conditions, most people can start a fire with only minimal problems, but add damp to wet conditions and a bit of wind and things get bad fast. Amongst the things, I am noticing is some of the fire starters were brand new and had never been used. …Read More...
Yesterday I was out walking in the woods. One thing I always watch for is sources of pitch or resin. The best sources are usually pine or other types of evergreens that have been damage or died. When a tree is damaged, it uses pitch to heal itself. This morning I was quite lucky I came across a big old pine that had lost some branches. The branches were surprisingly dry and had a lot of expose pitch. It had rained only the day before quite hard.
I gathered up some of the branches and took them home to experiment with. …Read More...