Preparedness Advice Blog
- A House Fire Changed My Family Forever
- Build your emergency kit with this Junk Drawer Challenge!
- What can a Billy Joel concert teach us about situational awareness?
- Basic Facts About Freeze-Dried Food – Video lesson
- The Beginner’s Quick-Start Guide to Homeschooling
- Green Coffee Beans: Simple Methods to Roast the Best Coffee Ever
Tag Archives: poisonous plants
The other day I wrote an article Edible Wild Plants can Supplement your Food Storage In that article, I mentioned that sometimes it is easier to learn about the poisonous plants first, so I thought that today I would publish some information on poisonous plants.
The following is a partial list of the more common poisonous plants found in North America. Unfortunately, I do not have the information readily at my fingertips to publish information on other parts of the world.
Here is a list of 30 of the more common poisonous plants
- American mistletoe, phoradendron flavescens
- Baneberry, actaea rubra
- Belladonna or deadly nightshade, devils cherries, atropa belladonna
- Black henbane, hyoscyamus, hog bean, hyoscyamus niger
- Black locust, yellow locust, black acacia, Robina pseudoacacia
- Bleeding heart, Dutchman’s breeches, dicentra Formosa
- Blacken Fern, pterdium aquilinum
- Caster bean, Ricinus communis
- Death camas, zigadenus paniculatus
- Destroying angel, Amanita verna, a very deadly mushroom
- False hellebore, skunk cabbage, veratrum californicum
- Fly amanita, amanita muscaria, a deadly mushroom
- Foxglove, fairy caps, fairy thimbles, digitalis purpurea, this is also a medicinal plant if use correctly.
The following is a fairly complete list of the more common poisonous plants. Now some of you may wonder why plants like skunk cabbage, choke cherry and even rhubarb are on this list. It is because these plants and some others on the list have parts that are poisonous or may need to be treated in some manner to neutralize the poisons. For instance, rhubarb leaves are poisonous, but you can eat the stalks. Choke cherry pits and leaves are poisonous, but the berry is not.
Some of the other plants shown on this list are medicinal plants and used correctly can treat many illnesses. …Read More...