Preparedness Advice Blog
- 2 Safety tips for your kids: The sound of gunfire & concealment vs. cover
- Sprouting new garden plants from seeds: tips from an old pro
- How to build a practical, affordable prepper library
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Watch for these February bargains
- 9 Must-Haves for your Glove Box
- 4 Simple but Clever Ways to Keep Cooking Oil Fresh Longer
Tag Archives: security
FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY
- Is your heating system in proper working order and inspected for dangerous leaks yearly?
- Is there ample air circulation around appliances that are likely to overheat?
- Are there any overloaded circuits, long extension cords runs, or too many devices plugged unto one outlet?
- Is your fireplace or wood stove chimney free of dangerous build ups that could catch on fire? Do you get your fireplace and wood stove chimney cleaned on a regular schedule?
- Do you have a protective grate in front of fireplace to prevent sparks, hot logs from rolling into room?
- Is your kitchen oven hood clear of greasy build-up that could cause a fire?
- Do you have metal security doors and are they properly installed.
- Do you keep a hidden house key outside the house where it’ can be found? Burglars know where to look.
- Is your home well lighted with particular attention to exterior doors? Are your lights on timers, photo cells or motion detectors?
- Can your main entrance be seen from the street?
- Are your exterior doors at least 1-3/4 inch solid core?
- Do all your exterior doors have heavy duty dead bolts and reinforced door frames? A solid door with a weak frame is easy to kick in.
- Can anyone gain easy access through a mail slot, dryer vent, or pet entrance?