Preparedness Advice Blog
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard
- Survival Shopping at Costco: A Quick and Easy Guide
- 6 Important Survival Lessons I Learned as a Scout
- The Food Storage Companies I Recommend and Why
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast!
- 5 Common Sense Steps to Grow What You Eat
Tag Archives: temperature
The first rule of food storage can be summed up in the acronym HALT. It stands for the four enemies of good food storage. These are Humidity, Air (oxygen), Light, and Temperature. This is the basis of all food storage
To get the maximum storage life of your food you need to protect it from these four enemies. This will also preserve the maximum amount of nutrition.
- Store your food at constant temperature of between 40 – 70 degrees.
- Protect your foods from exposure to moisture and high humidity.
- Protect your foods from exposure to oxygen.
- Store your foods in a dark area or opaque containers.