Preparedness Advice Blog
- Prepper To Prepper: The Hawaii Missile Alert, This Is Not A Drill
- 17 things you probably didn’t know about honey, but definitely should!
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Watch for these January bargains
- Take the 2017 End-of-Year Prepper Evaluation
- Prepper To Prepper: What Is In Your Everyday Carry?
Tag Archives: wedges
Loose ax or hammer handles can be a very irritating and dangerous problem. So what do you do to solve this issue? Years ago, I used to soak the ax or hammer in a bucket of water, the handle would swell and the problem was solved. Of cause a few days later, the problem would be back and worst than the first time. I have since learned not to soak an ax or hammer in water. This just makes the wood cells swell, and then when they shrink again, the cells are even smaller than before, so your handle becomes looser because of the soaking.…Read More...
If you are planning to burn wood in a crisis situation, one thing that you need to stock is a good splitting maul and wedges.
A typical maul for wood splitting will have a head weighing about 8 pounds. Normally, mauls have a wedge-shaped head, although there are a few different modern designs that I have seen but not tried. The original maul resembles an axe with a broader head. For wood splitting, this tool is much better than a normal axe. It works better because of the weight and because of its width; it is less likely to become stuck in the wood. …Read More...