Preparedness Advice Blog
- Prepper To Prepper: The Hawaii Missile Alert, This Is Not A Drill
- 17 things you probably didn’t know about honey, but definitely should!
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Watch for these January bargains
- Take the 2017 End-of-Year Prepper Evaluation
- Prepper To Prepper: What Is In Your Everyday Carry?
Tag Archives: wheat berries
The most common wheat used and sold is Hard Red Wheat and White Wheat. Hard Red spring wheat has strong gluten and generally used for standard bread flour. Wheat is used in cakes, pasties, cookies, crackers and breakfast foods. So you have to use the flour according to what you are going to bake.
Wheat is an important product and needs to be in your home storage, but don’t just store it. Start using it now before you have an emergency and then wonder what to do with it. Some of us (not just adults but children also) are allergic to wheat so you must find out before you start storing wheat.…Read More...
What do you do with wheat berries when you don’t have a grinder?
They can be cooked without grinding, by a couple of different methods. Whole berries can be steamed and then used as a hot cereal. Steam them in a double boiler, with a ratio of 5 cups wheat to seven of water. Cook until soft.
A second method is to soak the wheat berries over night and then cook in the morning. This produces a cereal similar to steaming the berries. With milk and sugar, this is a good tasting cereal. It can be eaten plain, but it is pretty bland.…Read More...