With winter coming or in some places already here we need to check our cars for winter use. I lived in the mountains for 15 years and it’s certainly a different life style. You have space and freedom of movement and where I lived privacy. Living in the city or some county areas, you have gas and lights provided by companies that fix it when there is an outage. You high county or mountain people know it’s only you and family.
One thing I learned fast was, snow chains and how to put them on (ugh) messy and dirty. I lived 2 miles off road and it wasn’t fun. So keeping your car in tip top shape is essential all the time, but in the winter it could be your life line.
So here are a few things you should check even in the city.
- Batteries (all cars or running snow equipment)
- Battery cables (Clean, grease and tighten)
- Oil (no oil no run)
- Check all belts for worn spots or cracks
- Windshield wipers and keep extra on hand (I did)
- Hoses Check for leaks or cracks or if it’s spongy
- Spark plus (tighten spark plugs and make sure the leads are on securely)
- Distributor Cap (check the points)
- Anti freeze (a biggie) in the winter for the radiator
- Ice scraper (short and long one)
- Check tire pressure
- Emergency flares and triangles
- Fire Extinguisher
- Flashlight and spare batteries
- Duct tape and Electrical tape
- Frozen locks are also a problem everywhere even if you don’t smoke carry matches so that you can heat up your key. I used hot water since it was available.
Never throw hot water on your windshield when frozen, use an ice scraper. One thing I learned also if your car is parked in the snow overnight and it doesn’t start in the morning check the exhaust pipe it could be under snow.
Even if you can’t or don’t know how to replace broken parts, someone else might.
Am sure most of us have tool boxes in our cars and some spare parts I know you can’t carry everything but use your instincts. What have you replaced or haven’t replaced lately?
If you can’t do any of the checking, please spend the money to have a garage check your car. It can save a lot of headaches and your life.