For the past, several months I have been on the Adkins Diet and have lost just over 40 lbs. This diet has worked well for me; I don’t feel deprived or hungry. Because I love potatoes and miss them, my wife tries to find substitutes for them. Now I like potato salad. So the other day we had some people coming over for barbequed hamburgers and of course potato salad. Now I love potato salad with burgers, so my wife makes me a cauliflower potato salad. You substitute cauliflower for potatoes.
Now here I am at the table looking at a big bowl of potato salad and a smaller bowl of cauliflower potato salad. So I am tempted to cheat, but figure just to be safe from the wrath, I had better try the cauliflower one. Well to my surprise, it tasted great, I forgot all about the real potato salad. The cauliflower one is better tasting.
It is so good I want to share her recipe with all of you. This is the type of different foods that we need to learn about so that if times get hard we have lots of options.
Cauliflower Salad Ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower broken into small florets
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 2 packages Stevia
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 3 green onions
- 2 hardboiled egg
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno peppers or 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- salt and pepper
- Cook cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling water until tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar substitute and mustard.
- Add cauliflower, green onions and pepper.
- Mix well until vegetables are evenly coated with dressing.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill 30 minutes
Try it you will be surprised at how good it is.