You need to make sure you have access to fire in the event of an emergency. One of the most reliable sources of fire is a BIC cigarette lighter; however, can you refill a BIC lighter?
Have you been searching “bic lighters refillable” to no avail? Yes, you can refill a BIC butane lighter. This can come in handy if you are looking to light a stove to cook food, light a lamp for light, or even as an emergency method of wound sterilization.
In this post, we will explain how to refill a BIC lighter; however, keep in mind that the BIC website says that lighters are not meant to be refilled. This is only meant to be followed in an emergency situation.
Tools Required To Refill a BIC Lighter
Can you refill a BIC disposable lighter? You can, but there are several important tools you need to have. These include:
- Your BIC lighter
- Lighter fluid (in a container with a nozzle) you can use to refill the BIC lighter
- A file or some sandpaper
- A pair of pliers, clippers, screwdriver or some wire cutters
- A push pin, paper clip or a safety pin
Once you have these tools, you can start refilling your disposable BIC lighter.
How To Refill a BIC Butane Lighter
If you are looking for a new BIC lighter, they are available in most grocery and convenience stores, but remember that you can refill them when empty!
Once you are ready to refill your BIC lighter, there are a few steps to follow. These include:
- Start by making sure there is no lighter fluid left in the lighter. Otherwise, this could be a safety hazard. Try to light the BIC lighter by rotating the spark wheel. If it doesn’t light, shake it a bit or hit it against a hard surface. If you don’t hear anything inside the BIC lighter, it is most likely empty.
- Turn the empty BIC lighter upside down and locate the ball bearing.
- Take your safety pin, paper clip or push pin. Use it to push the ball bearing out of the BIC lighter. It should open the fuel reservoir. This is another chance to make sure the BIC lighter is empty before you move forward.
- With the reservoir open, drive the nozzle of your can of butane or lighter fluid container into the opening.
- Turn the container over to fill the BIC lighter with the lighter fluid. It should take approximately 30 seconds to completely fill the BIC lighter.
- As you fill the BIC lighter, make sure you press down on the opening firmly to prevent any butane from leaking out of the lighter.
- Once you are done refilling the BIC lighter with butane fuel, drive the safety pin or push the pin back into the canister. This should seal it shut.
- Take your wire cutters, clippers or pliers. Use them to snap off the end of the pushpin or safety pin. This will seal the BIC lighter and prevent the lighter fluid from leaking out of it.
- Finally, take your file or sandpaper. Use it to file down the end of the pushpin or safety pin to remove the safety hazard and reduce the chances of hurting yourself.
If you want to learn hacks for refilling a BIC lighter, take a look at this helpful video.
It might take some practice to get better at this method, but practice makes perfect. Remember to use caution while refilling your BIC lighter because they are not designed to be refilled.
Refiling a BIC Lighter From the Bottom Versus the Top
Even though there are multiple ways to refill a BIC lighter, you should always refill your BIC lighter from the bottom. While there are some people who refill BIC lighters from the top, this is not the best option. There are a few reasons why you should refill BIC lighter from the bottom.
The Advantages of Refilling a BIC Lighter from the Bottom
Some of the biggest advantages that come with refilling a BIC lighter from the bottom include:
- It is faster to refill the BIC lighter from the bottom because all you have to do is poke a hole in the bottom, refill the lighter with butane gas, and seal it up.
- You don’t have to worry about taking apart any of the operating mechanisms of the BIC lighter to refill it from the bottom.
- You can easily make sure the lighter is empty if you open it from the bottom instead of the top. You can reduce your chances of harming yourself or the lighter if you refill the BIC lighter from the bottom.
With a bit of practice, you can get comfortable refilling a BIC lighter from the bottom.
The Dangers of Refilling a BIC Lighter from the Top
While you can refill your BIC lighter from the top, there are a few dangers you might encounter. These include:
- The process of refilling a BIC lighter from the top has more steps, making it harder and more complex.
- You have to go through the BIC lighter’s operating mechanisms, which means you could break the lighter.
- If you don’t refill the BIC lighter from the top correctly, you could make the lighter dangerous, putting yourself and others at risk.
The best-case scenario of refilling a lighter from the top is a working lighter, just as you would if you refilled it from the bottom. The worst-case scenario is breaking the lighter and creating a safety hazard. Avoid refilling a BIC lighter from the top and always refill it from the bottom.
You Can Refill a BIC Lighter
Can you refill a BIC lighter with Zippo fluid? You can, but it is very important for you to be careful when doing so. Refilling a BIC lighter can be a challenge because, unlike a Zippo lighter, it is not meant to be refilled. When you refill your BIC lighter, always do so from the bottom.
You might be able to find a video showing you to refill a BIC lighter from the top, but this can damage the lighter, making it unsafe.
Remember to make sure the BIC lighter is totally out of lighter fluid before you try to refill it. Don’t forget to break off the safety pin and file it down when you are done. If you need another BIC lighter, you can find one on Amazon, but remember that you can refill them using this easy method
Frequently Asked Questions About Refilling a BIC Lighter
Some of the most common questions people ask about refilling a BIC lighter include:
Can you refill a lighter?
Yes, you can refill most lighters with fresh lighter fluid. That way, you don’t have to worry about buying a new one, you will save money too. Some lighters, such as Zippo lighters, are meant to be refilled for reuse. The process is pretty straightforward.
Other lighters, such as BIC lighters, are not meant to be refilled, but can still be refilled pretty easily by puncturing the refill valve with a small hole. Refilling your BIC lighter gives it an extended reach!
Can you refill a BIC lighter with Butane?
Yes, you can refill a BIC lighter with some fresh butane so you don’t have to buy a new lighter. You need a push pin to remove the ball bearing before you can refill it with lighter fluid. Always refill a BIC lighter from the bottom instead of the top. That way, you can reduce your chances of harming the inner workings of the BIC lighter and ensure the lighter runs smoothly.