Fels Naptha Soap, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Sumac

Fels naptha for poison ivy, poison oak, and sumac is used to help treat the reaction to these poisonous reactions.  Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic response, but most if not all will become sensitized over time with repeated or more concentrated exposure.

Where to buy Fels Naptha

A simple way to minimize your chances of get a reaction is to wash with this  soap after exposure. It can be found in the laundry section of most grocery stores.  It’s inexpensive and can stop or minimize reactions from such plants as poison ivy, poison oaks and sumac.

Is Fels Naptha good for poison ivy.

Fels Naptha has been used for over 100 years for the treatment and prevention of poison ivy, sumac and poison oak rash.  I have used it for years.  If you think, you have been exposed to poison ivy, poison oak or sumac, shower or wash immediately with Fels Naptha to remove the oils from your skin.  This will reduce and in many cases prevent any skin reaction.

Poison ivyMake sure to wash your clothes and equipment in some shaved or grated fels naptha  to remove the oils.  Some oils can stay on your clothes and equipment for over 1 year even if washed with normal detergent.

What will dry up poison ivy.

A topical solution such as calamine lotion, also hydrocortisone cream can help dry up poison ivy.

How to cure poison ivy rash quickly.

Try your best to not scratch because this will allow for the oils to get into your skin, shower and wash with Fels Naptha, then take an oatmeal bath to soothe your skin. Washing with Fels Naptha can greatly reduce the itching and discomfort from bug bites.  I strongly suggest that you become familiar with any plants in your area of operations that pose a hazard. This article can help become familiar with what these poisonous plants look like.

Sumac

11 thoughts on “Fels Naptha Soap, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Sumac”

  1. You have outstanding timing once again Howard. My daughter and I were both exposed to green mango sap over the weekend, which reacts like poison ivy. I was wondering how to treat our exposed clothes. Good thing we already use Fels Neptha in our homemade laundry detergent!

    ~ Sandy Taylor

  2. My family has used Fels Naptha soap for years to treat poison ivy. My grandparents owned a 400 acre farm growing up and my family has always used this product to get rid of poison ivy or any similar skin irritation. It is inexpensive and it works.

  3. My mom used Fels Naptha on me for this purpose many times as a kid, but it never really worked. I did however recently discover that Goop hand cleaner totally works.

  4. My husband had berm using Fels-Naptha for years and he swears by it.
    If you have trouble finding it, look for it in the bar soap aisle, and sometimes you may find it with the laundry detergents.

    1. We use Fels-Naptha. It’s great rubbed on stains as a pre-treatment and my wife has used it to make homemade laundry soap.

  5. Kevin Nuttall

    Soaps that contain lye work well to treat poison ivy & poison oak infections, or to prevent infection from first developing; washing with yellow soap within 3 hours after exposure is essential, however, as the oils will penetrate the skin after 3 hours. If a water source isn’t readily available to wash away the oils (within 3 hours), a dampened bar may be applied to the affected area (VERY sparingly). A little dab’ll do ya; but, too much damp soap will only serve to further irritate the skin. Once the skin has been washed, do NOT rub with a dry towel; pat the water off of the affected area with a towel (or paper towel), instead. Rubbing a towel on the affected area will only serve to spread the infection and agitate the skin. Then, do NOT perform activities or occupy areas where you might sweat, as sweat helps the infection to develop and/or fester longer. If you have not washed up within 3 hours, and an infection sets in, repeat washing and patting dry 3-to-4 times a day, until resolved, usually within 4-to-5 days. And, do NOT believe you can’t be infected by poison oak or ivy, unless your lineage includes a member of a Native American tribe that has been consuming these leaves for nearly a thousand years, which has made that tribe immune to infection – a tribe that only lives in the area of northern Oregon & Washington state.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *